Sunday, February 10, 2013

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

He knew what he was doing, but I sure as hell didn't. This novel needs instructions and possibly a joint. I was confused through must of the book, only really able to read his words at face value. My efforts to understand why this book is so erratic, other than knowing of his other works (namely Fight Club) proved fruitless. Although entertaining, I was relieved when it ended so I could stop scratching my head and feeling completely close-minded. The story is of a young model who's life is changed drastically forcing her to live, in her own words, as a 'monster'. When she meets "Queen Supreme, Brandy Alexander" she acquiesces to change her current, stagnant situation. I don't doubt there is genius in this book, yet, I could not wrap my head around the twisted plot. During the three months it took me to read this 300 page book, I felt like I was grasping at straws trying to decipher the dialogue. This was a struggle for me but I usually will not give up on a moderate length book. There is a decent amount of  humor revealed from the mind of the narrator. Her sarcasm is heavy-handed and is comparable to that of a petulant child. Palahniuk's attention to detail is central. Nothing was commonplace, every object was filled with imagery, every garment appraised from stitch to hem and every character stripped down to their physical attributes.The book has it's fair share of surprises, two in particular that change everything you thought you understood the story to be. Palahniuk has quite a handle on the shock and awe of his audience. All in all, Invisible Monsters is an impressive work of literature that will definitely keep you entertained throughout but may at times overwhelm. Happy to have read it, but I don't think it will be a book I choose to recycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment