Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I believe this is a book every single person should read at least once in their lifetime. I don't say this because it's the best or most interesting book but because of it's intrinsic significance (It's kind of ridiculous that this wasn't a required text in my high school). I don't find this to be my favorite book, but it is still an important and historical piece of literature that shows the values of a time when the economy was in such an incline that possibilities were endless. The book was written in 1925 which gives the current reader a dramatic irony even Fitzgerald was unaware of. Predecessor to the soon-coming Depression, this time period consisted of opportunity, wealth, and change. Fitzgerald captures the quintessential male during the roaring 20's; a wealthy, handsome, well-versed proprietor. The imagery of the swanky parties makes you feel like you're watching all of this splendor take place as a wallflower attendee. Although I don't feel like I really got to know and understand the characters, they're real people that could be your neighbors or local socialites. This novel stood for what could be, the American dream is a central theme throughout Great Gatsby. I read this book pretty quickly, it's interesting and there's a lot of build up so I kept reading further to get to the climax. This was a present from my sister-in-law, and it was actually the first book from my list. Receiving this kick-started my venture into this reading list. I'm very happy with her choice, it's her favorite book and from my brother I received Sophie's Choice, which is also on the list and is his favorite book.

No comments:

Post a Comment